When it comes to selling a house, it’s a generally accepted belief that renovations will help increase the selling price.
But the key to getting the most return on your real estate investment when preparing to list your home on the market is to do your renovations strategically.
Read on to find out how Ottawa home sellers have much to gain by focusing your efforts on impactful kitchen renovations to boost the price of your home.
Kitchen Renos – Think Like a Salesperson
Buyers who are looking for a home that’s currently occupied don’t necessarily expect it to be in brand-new condition.
What’s vital, however, is that your home makes a tremendously positive impression on potential buyers.
For this reason, it’s better than you stop thinking like a homeowner and start seeing your house as a product. Now that might not be easy at first, especially since you’ve called this place home for years, and you’ve put your signature on various parts.
Ottawa realtors would likely all agree that the kitchen is a focal point of the home. If you have a kitchen that screams “dark,” “dated,” “dilapidated” or “dysfunctional” to a potential buyer, your best move before listing on the market would be to invest in a kitchen renovation.
Kitchens Sell Houses, Kitchen Renovations Sell the Kitchen!
Unless your home has issues that pose safety and health risk, you want to focus on those projects that improve its appearance.
Although it’s not always easy to determine which renovations are likely to raise your home’s value, most agents will tell you that kitchens sell houses.
Kitchen renovations and upgrades top the list of what home buyers are looking for in Ottawa homes.
Bear in mind that, even if they are likely to boost your house’s value, they do not guarantee that you will make back every dollar you invest.
Therefore, you should invest in strategic renovations and focus on kitchens and bathrooms rather than on other parts of the house.
Particular kitchen renovations will go a long way toward helping your home make a positive impression on potential buyers. In any case, when remodelling a space, you want to make sure you recoup the money.
Attractive kitchens and modern bathrooms will work wonders! All you have to do is rely on professional advisers. Get hold of your local renovation company in Ottawa today!
Reconfigure The Work Flow With A Kitchen Renovation
A kitchen renovation can significantly improve the given space and layout, altering and improving the functionality and aesthetics. There are many ways that you can change your kitchen’s configuration to improve the flow of work and visual appeal.
- Removing walls can open up a kitchen’s space and allow you to create an open floor plan. This is a very useful technique for expanding cramped kitchen spaces. Additionally, if the walls separating the kitchen and other living areas are taken down, you can take the open floor plan into an open concept. This makes the space even larger and more cohesive.
- Installing a kitchen island can create a central locus in the kitchen that also serves to separate the kitchen from other parts of the house. Adding an island will increase your kitchen storage space as well as your available counter space.
- Changing the location of your counters, sinks and appliances allows you to create a more efficient arrangement of your kitchen. This improves the kitchen’s functionality as well.
Improving your kitchen’s efficiency and visual appeal this way will also increase your home’s value simultaneously.
Improve Your Kitchen With Smart Home Functionality
Including technology to improve your kitchen’s efficiency and convenience can also add to the value of your home. There are many smart devices that respond in various ways to alter and improve the kitchen experience. Some of these upgrades include:
- Voice-controlled appliances that make preparing and cooking meals an easier task.
- Smart lighting that responds to voice commands, motion sensors or app controls to facilitate lighting adjustments.
- Smart thermostats that can follow a set schedule or remote controls to improve energy efficiency.
- Smart entertainment systems like TV and speakers to improve the experience of kitchen work alone or with company.
Remodel Your Kitchen with a Strategic Plan & Budget
Take your time to plan accordingly and don´t overspend unnecessarily: you can definitely upgrade your kitchen on a budget. Below you will find three tips to stay on track throughout the remodel:
- Commit to spending the main part of the budget on things that should not be replaced in a long time, such as cabinetry and appliances.
- Do not over-improve your kitchen, or you won’t be able to recover the costs of your updates.
- Set aside 15% of your budget for unexpected expenses.
An updated property result in profit.
The key is to know which renovations are likely to increase your home’s value immediately.
Remember: no buyer wants to undertake a home renovation, but nearly everyone that purchases a house expects to have to update the kitchen. Given the situation… why not help them save the hassle of undertaking a kitchen remodel AND make money out of it?
Ready to get started? Contact March Homes today to begin your remodel adventure!